.NET 7 Web API & Entity Framework Jumpstart
Build the back-end of a .NET 7 web application with a Web API, Entity Framework 7 & SQL Server in no time!
What you’ll learn
Build a complete .NET 7 back-end with Web API, Entity Framework Core, SQL Server
Implement Token Authentication with JSON Web Tokens & Roles
Utilize all three types of relationships in your database: one-to-one, one-to-many, many-to-many
Use the HTTP request methods GET, POST, PUT & DELETE
Implement best practices like a proper structure for your Web API, Dependency Injection, asynchronous calls with async/await and Data-Transfer-Objects (DTOs)
Use LINQ to filter, sort, map, select and access your entities.
Seed data with code-first migrations programmatically
You should have basic knowledge of C#.
The .NET framework is getting better and better and more important in the web development world nowadays.
Almost every request I get for new web development projects is asking for knowledge in .NET, including Web API and Entity Framework.
So, knowing the fundamentals of back-end web development with .NET can be highly beneficial to your career. And that’s where this course comes in.
In a short period of time, you will learn how to set up a Web API, make restful calls to this Web API and also save data persistently with Entity Framework, Code-First Migration, a SQL Server database, and all three types of relationships in this database.
We will get right to the point, you will see every single step of writing the necessary code and by the end of this course, you will have what it takes to say ‘yes’ to all the .NET project requests from any recruiter.
The only tool you need in the beginning is Visual Studio Code which is available for free.
We will use Visual Studio Code for our implementations and make calls to the Web API with the help of Swagger UI – an interface that lets you consume the API out-of-the-box, thanks to the latest version of the .NET framework.
Later, we will also utilize SQL Server Express and the SQL Server Management Studio to manage our database. These are also available for free.
The back-end application we’re going to build is a small text-based role-playing game where different users can register (we’re going to use JSON web tokens for authentication) and create their own characters like a mage or a knight, add some skills and a weapon, and also let the characters fight against each other to see who is the best of them all.
What You Will Learn
- Create your first Web API call in less than 10 minutes
- Initialize a Git repository for your source control
- The Model-View-Controller (MVC) pattern
- Create models and controllers
- Attribute routing (with parameters)
- The HTTP request methods GET, POST, PUT & DELETE
- Best practices for your Web API like a ServiceResponse class and Data-Transfer-Objects (DTOs)
- Map your models with AutoMapper
Entity Framework Core
- Code-First Migration
- SQL Server Express
- How to use a DataContext and a proper ConnectionString
- All previous HTTP requests with Entity Framework Core to save your data in a SQL Server database
- Data Seeding: Insert data with a migration programmatically
- Token Authentication with JSON Web Tokens
- Secure controllers with the Authorize attribute
- Add roles to the users
Advanced Relationships with Entity Framework Core
- One-to-one relationships
- One-to-many relationships
- Many-to-many relationships
- Include entities with Entity Framework Core
- Get the proper relations between entities
More Than Just CRUD
- Start automatic fights
- Filter and order RPG characters by their highscore
This course has been completely re-recorded with .NET 7.
The lectures with the older versions of the .NET (Core) Framework – .NET 6, 5 & .NET Core 3.1 – are still available for reference.
My name is Patrick and I will be your instructor for this course. I’m a web developer for over a decade now, I have worked for big corporations and small teams, as an employee and a contractor and I just love to see the way Microsoft is going with .NET and how important it gets day by day.
To this date, I was able to run ten courses on web development here on Udemy about ASP.NET, Blazor, single-page applications, Angular, and DevOps, with a total of over 75.000 unique students and more than 10.000 reviews.
If you have any questions, feel free to connect.
And if you still have any doubts, you have a 30-day money-back guarantee, no questions asked.
So, I hope you’re ready for your new skills and your new projects! 😉
I’m looking forward to seeing you in the course!
Course image: practicuum/Shutterstock
Who this course is for:
- Students who want to build professional .NET 7 web development skills.
Created by Patrick God
Last updated 12/2022
Size: 7.45 GB